A bench vise is among the necessary equipment that one should strive to have in their home or workshop. This equipment will be of much importance when working with wood and metals. The bench vise will help you lock these materials securely as you work on them. Preventing objects from moving will increase stability and consequently eliminate any chances of accidents from occurring.
Other than locking objects, a bench vise will be used in other tasks for instance sawing, drilling, sawing among others. A good vise should be made with strong materials and have good gripping power. If you are looking for the best bench vise, this is the best place. We have reviewed the best bench vises available in the market today. Before we can even get there, here is a brief guide on how to go about the purchase
List of Top 10 Best Bench Vises in 2023
#10. Yost Tools LV-4 Bench Vise 4-1/2″
This is a small vise that measures 4-1/2 inches only. It comes with an improved design which has seen it becoming more stable which makes it superior to its predecessors. The vise is made with cast iron meaning that it is strong enough for heavy-duty tasks. Apart from that, it has a very simple installation which can be done by even novices.
The vise is known for its strength and stability which makes it a great addition for every home or the small workshops. This bench vise comes with a small anvil area which makes it incredible for its price. It is ideal for tasks such as sharpening. Apart from that, it comes with a 240-degree swivel base which makes it very versatile to use.
- Made with strong cast iron
- An improved base design that reduces the side to side movements
- 240-degree swivel base for versatility
- 3” jaw opening and 4-1/2” jaw width.
#9. Yost Tools Vises 445 4.5″, Combination Pipe & Bench Vise
This is another bench vise that offers its users good value for money. It has a 360-degree swivel feature which adds a facet of ease during its operation. Its solid construction incorporates some reinforced steel jaws and a cast iron base. Its jaws open up to 4 and a half inches wide which makes it perfect for tubing.
For guaranteed peace of mind, the product comes with a quality guarantee. This is because this brand looks to ensure that their clients are completely satisfied. In case you experience some issues with the product after purchasing, the brand is very easy to reach. This is a bench vise which is very different from its competitors since it provides a good grip on different objects.
- It has 3150 lbs. clamp force and a torque rating of 73 ft-lb
- Replaceable hardened steel with serrated top jaws
- High-strength bar with 30,000 psi vise components
- It has a jaw width of 4.5” and a jaw opening of 4”.
#8. Yost Tools 5″ Rotating Vise (1 Pack)
This is a multi-jaw vise that rotates with ease which makes it very versatile to use. It is made from 30,000 PSI cast iron which makes it ideal for home use and workshops use too. Its side lockdown will allow the vise to get easily clamped at whatever angle. The base of this vise can be easily rotated in 360 degrees which permits optimal work placement.
Additionally, the vise features sets of jaws that allow for gripping parts. You will also realize that the vise comes with 4 mounting holes allowing you to easily attach your vise to the workbench. Its large anvil work surface will make it easy to operate it. Since this is a product that is backed with a quality guarantee, you need to be confident to purchase it.
- 5,000 lbs. casting clamp force and a torque rating of 125 ft-lb
- 360-degree interlocking swivel base with lockdowns
- Made with 30,000 PSI iron castings
- Large anvil work surface which is ideal for flat shaping.
#7. Forward CR60A Bench Vise with Anvil (6 1/2″)
Next on the list is the Forward bench vise which has a jaw width of 165.1mm and a jaw opening of 150mm. This, therefore, assures you that your bench vise will have great gripping power. Its body is made using quality gray cast iron and the float made with ductile iron which is much durable. You will also appreciate that this bench vise is made in different sizes from which you can pick from.
This bench vise is multifunctional since it works on the workbenches with ease. Among the task that this bench vise will prove to be effective will include grinding and cutting. The tapping work will also be possible on its anvil surface. With a rotating base of 270 degrees, you can be guaranteed flexibility. Other than having a large anvil, you will appreciate that it comes with a corrosion-resistant handle.
- 165.1mm jaw width and a jaw opening of 150mm
- Durable and strong construction now that it is made with high-strength cast iron
- Perfect multipurpose vises bot for industrial and home use
- A 270-degrees rotating base makes it flexible to use.
#6. Wilton 11106 Bench Vise, 6-Inch, Jaw Opening and Width
In case you are looking for a sturdy vise, this should automatically be your best pick. Its blue powder coating on the finish is the standard color for the bench vises. The good thing about this bench vise is that it can be used by both beginners and experienced workers alike. It features strengthened steel construction which allows it to handle its duties in the best way possible.
This vise has a swivel base which allows you to operate it with ease. It has a wide jaw opening with some serrated jaws which guarantees that it will give the objects you are working on a very good grip. The bench vise comes in an assortment of sizes from where the buyers will select from. Now that it is made by reputable manufacturers and it is backed with a lifetime warranty, you will want to purchase it.
- Large Anvil working surface
- Dual-lock down swivel base
- It is made with quality steel
- Comes with a lifetime warranty,
#5. IRWIN Tools Bench Vise, 5″ (4935505)
Our research team included the IRWIN bench vise in the list since it has sheer functionalities. Among its benefits include versatility in handling complicated tasks. The ability of this vise to undertake different assignments originates from its quality and durable construction. As far as the jaws are concerned, it is large and strong 5 inches clamps will hold the objects firmly.
Another reason why this bench vise performs so well is the fact that it has an outstanding design. The model perfectly blends the angular shapes with the circular curves. Its removable jaw section is angular which is meant for the precise setting to fixed parts. You will also appreciate the fact that these jaws will easily rotate which makes it easy to secure tubular pieces in whatever direction.
- The swivel base allows it to rotate 360 degrees
- The bench vise has a width of 5 inches
- Fused steel handle which makes it very easy to adjust
- Incorporated anvil to keep the vise very steady during operation.
#4. Yost Tools 5″ Rotating Bench Vise 750E (1 Pack)
This is a heavy-duty and multipurpose bench vise that will be useful for home improvement needs. It is very tough, compact, and reliable as well. This bench vise will prove to be effective in shaping, cutting pipes, and also the bend projects. The bench vise actually uses the four-bolt mounting method which makes it more stable compared to its competitors.
Its swivel base will rotate through 360 degrees which allows one to undertake the heavy-duty tasks with much ease. Another great benefit of the bench vise is that it comes with a large anvil. For that reason, the flattening of pieces will be very easy with this device. It comes with a powder coating that allows this device to remain in good working condition even during extreme weather.
- 5,000 lbs. casting clamp force and a torque rating of 125 ft-lb
- 360-degrees rotating head to clamp materials at whatever angle
- The jaw width is 5 inches and the jaw opening is 5 inches
- Made with 30,000 PSI cast iron.
#3. Forward DT08125A Heavy-Duty Bench Vise (5″)
The Forward bench vise comes with three sets of jaws namely; machinist jaws, V-jaws, and in-built pipe jaws. The replaceable jaws with the microgroove tooth space feature high-strength steel for excellent grip. This bench vise offers self-aligning pipe jaws. It is for this reason why these jaws will adjust well to give a powerful clamping pressure.
This vise features a heavy-duty construction which makes it ideal for home use and uses in the workshop as well. It comes with a very good coating which makes it ideal to use even during the harsh weather. It is also completely closed which will help to prevent water, dirt, and rust altogether. The manufacturer of this bench vise has been in the game for 70 years and they have therefore built a reputation.
- Made with high-strength gray iron which makes it durable and sturdy
- Perfect dual-purpose vises for industrial and home use
- Rotates in 360 degrees which makes it convenient for the clamping tasks
- 125mm jaw width and a throat depth of 67mm.
#2. Yost Tools 750-DI 5″ Multi-Jaw Bench Vise
This is yet another heavy-duty bench vise that makes the list of the best bench vises in the market today. The bench vise features a heavy-duty iron frame which is 2 times stronger compared to the conventional iron materials. It can, therefore, withstand some higher tensile strength. It is deep-throated since it comes with a 4” opening which allows for a faster grab to any project material.
The bench vise is braced with a sturdy 4-bolt mounting strategy which guarantees that this vise will be very stable. The swivel will spin in a universal design which makes it very easy to operate. Whenever you need to set the vise in a specific position, you will simply be needed to engage a lock from the 12 available ones. With this bench vise, you will never suffer slips during work.
- Replaceable hardened steel construction
- 360-degrees interlocking swivel base
- Made with strong 65,000 PSI iron castings
- 13,400 lbs. clamping force and 316 ft-lb torque rating.
#1. Yost FSV-4 4″ Heavy-Duty Bench Vise w/ 360-Degree Swivel Base
Finally, according to our research team, the Yost FSV-4 bench vise emerged as the winner. The bench vise has a swivel base and has a jaw width of 5 inches. Its diameter pipe capacity is 0.5 to 3 inches which makes it ideal for heavy-duty applications. Its 360-degrees swivel base will adjust the direction of the jaws for better placement and ensure that the materials lock well in place.
This bench vise comes with a forged steel body and a powder-coated finish which will provide great weather resistance. It also has a flat portion which will act as the anvil for added working space. Its jaws are made with hardened steel and are well-grooved to give a better grip. Additionally, the guide rails adjust easily to counteract any wear.
- This bench vise has a 4” jaw width for a better clamping action
- The guide rails will easily adjust to counteract wear
- Its top jaws & pipe jaws feature hardened steel construction
- Forged steel body with a powder-coated finish for weather resistance.
Factors to consider when choosing the Bench Vises:
- Gripping power – A proper bench vise is the one that can provide a very strong grip. In this case, the jaws will play a vital role in selecting the bench vise. The reason behind this is that when locking objects, the tension will always be directed to the jaws. If you get a bench vise with some serrated edges, you can count yourself lucky. However, the metal teeth should be deep to guarantee a good grip.
- Swivel base – This is the part that allows your bench vise to rotate for flexibility purposes. This proves to be effective when working on some projects which have irregularities such as unsymmetrical shapes or tight corners. You should, therefore, check on the chances for your swivel base to easily turn. Additionally, swiveling will allow you to easily access the concave areas.
- Mounting – There are two mechanisms to mount this tool. You can decide to work with the bolt-on mechanism which has three or four bolts that will secure the benchtop to your worktop. Bolting will allow your device to withstand high pressure and a heavy load. On the other hand, the clamp mounting system will be very easy to set up. However, it works perfectly when the load is low.
Just like any other product, bench vises are different as far as features, performance, size, and the price is concerned. If you are looking to get the best from your bench vise, you need to determine the purpose of the bench vise first. For heavy-duty tasks, you ought to select products that are made with sturdy materials. We are aware that the bench vises have currently flooded the market which makes it hard to select a genuine one. The reviews above have all that you need to land on the best bench vise. Be sure to read through since we believe what you are looking for is right above here.